If you’ve ever been involved in an auto accident, you know how stressful it can be. Most people are flooded with a mix of emotions and worries. You’ll be concerned about everyone’s safety and anxious about your vehicle. You might be angry at the other driver. Then there’s the fear about what impact the accident will have on your driving record and your insurance.
If you’re looking to get your automobile insured, click here for a free California auto insurance quote.
All those things can make it hard to think clearly and respond properly. And if there are injuries, the stress can be amplified. But that’s when a clear head and quick action are really crucial. Here are some tips for getting through an accident with a minimum of hassle and headaches.
- After an accident, getting help for the injured is always the first priority.
- Regardless of the circumstances, report the accident to the police.
- Record the name, address and phone number of the other driver. Write down the make and license number of all vehicles involved. You’ll want to get as much information as you can about the other driver’s insurance agent, policy and insurance company.
- Don’t forget to collect the names, addresses and phone numbers of passengers and witnesses. Since many cases end up with the parties blaming each other, third-party witnesses can be important. Don’t hesitate to approach anyone who may have seen the crash.
- Be careful of what you say. Don’t talk about fault; even casual remarks can be used in court.
- Examine the damage carefully. Take photos if possible, particularly if the accident occurred on private property, such as a parking lot.
- Without being overly suspicious, observe the other driver’s actions. If the other driver later claims to have a serious injury, what you notice could be important.
- Stay calm.
- Notify our office immediately at 805-781-6336. If the accident occurs after hours, please refer to the my policy section of our website for 24-hour claims hotlines for our insurance companies.
Remember, these incidents are the reason you have insurance in the first place. We know that no car wreck is ever minor if you’re involved. We’re here so that you can relax a little, knowing that Engle & Associates are on your side doing everything possible to ease your stress and give you peace of mind.