Specialty insurance for California’s professionally managed HOA’s.

Engle & Associates has been working with homeowners and condo associations of all sizes with their unique risks for over thirty years.

Professionally Managed HOA’s Homeowners Associations and Condominium Associations have unique risks that require the expertise of a broker who has a proven track record insuring these types of risks. We keep up on changes in legislation that affect homeowner and condominium associations and keep our property manager partners informed of these changes.

NOTE: We only work with professionally managed homeowners associations. We do not work with self-managed associations. Please feel free to contact our office for a referral to a professional HOA property manager.

Explore our interactive condo building scene!

Learn about common risks regarding your condo building and discover how the proper insurance can help.

Condo Building
Property Insurance
Risk Factor

Condo and co-op associations may face severe financial consequences from property loss due to fire, wind, or other causes.


Commercial property insurance should provide coverage for damage to the building, personal property owned by the association, and income lost due to a covered cause of loss.

General Liability
Risk Factor

Condo and co-op associations are susceptible to many risks, such as claims due to bodily injury, property damage, personal injury, and more. The association could also face lawsuits from claims associated with common areas such as hallways, stairwells, swimming pools, and parking areas.


General liability insurance is an absolute necessity for any association. It provides coverage for legal fees and judgments when the association is named in a covered lawsuit.

Crime and Fidelity Bond Insurance
Risk Factor

Crime and fidelity bond insurance is designed to provide coverage to cooperative and condominium associations to protect them from theft of funds or association-owned personal property by an employee, board member and in some cases, the property management firm.


Crime and fidelity coverage is designed to provide coverage for employee dishonesty, forgery and alteration, computer fraud, counterfeiting, and more.

Systems Breakdown Insurance
Risk Factor

With technology performing many tasks in today's world, a breakdown can cause a significant financial burden, including the cost to repair the equipment and any resulting lost income or extra expenses.


Comprehensive coverage provides protection against equipment mechanical breakdown for machinery such as heating and cooling equipment and elevator motors.

Directors and Officers Liability Insurance
Risk Factor

Directors and officers (such as board members) can be held accountable for decisions they make in the performance of their duties. Any resulting lawsuits are typically expensive to defend and can result in potentially large settlements.


Directors and officers liability insurance provides coverage for the legal costs to defend a covered lawsuit and may also provide the money necessary for any resulting judgments.

Commercial Umbrella Insurance
Risk Factor

What happens when your condo or co-op building faces a large liability loss that exceeds the basic limit of your standard policy?


A commercial umbrella policy will provide extra coverage over and above general liability, directors and officers liability, auto liability, and employers liability policies. Limits start at $1,000,000 and go as high as $200,000,000.

Cyber Liability Insurance
Risk Factor

Technology has spun a whole new web of liability exposures including the need for protection of privacy, data, and financial information for your association residents. Breach of their data can result in costly fees and lawsuits for the association if held liable.


Cyber liability coverage covers fees and lawsuits resulting from the breach of personal data, assuming that the association is liable.

Environmental Insurance
Risk Factor

Pollutant clean-up is generally excluded from the basic policies. Leaking of a fuel tank can be very costly to remediate.


Environmental insurance provides coverage for clean-up costs and third party lawsuits as a result of a leak from the tank or related pipes.

Sponsor / Investors Owned Units Insurance
Risk Factor

Typically the policies for the association exclude coverage for the sponsor or holder of unsold shares for the interior of the units they own.


A policy should be maintained to provide coverage for what you are responsible for within the unit, as well as any lost income and lawsuits resulting from acts within the unit.

We tailor a custom insurance package based on the needs of each association with the following coverage options available:


Property Coverage

covers common area buildings and anything attached to the building – fixtures, cabinets, etc. Also covers things like signs, pergolas, fences, mailboxes, landscaping, irrigation, pumps, gym equipment and furnishings.

General Liability Coverage

provides legal liability for bodily injury, property damage and personal injury claims against the association.

Umbrella Liability

offers excess liability limits over underlying general liability, directors and officers liability and employer’s liability.

Directors and Officers Liability

covers defense and damages arising out of wrongful act allegations and lawsuits brought against the association’s board of directors.

Fidelity/Crime/Employee Dishonesty

these terms are used interchangeably to describe direct physical loss to money and securities caused by a dishonest act committed by an employee. Example: Employee embezzles money from the association. We can endorse this coverage to also cover a professional property management firm as an employee.

Workers Compensation

many associations have zero payroll. This doesn’t mean they should not carry workers comp. We always recommend carrying a zero payroll workers comp policy, in the event that a subcontractor fails to carry workers comp, or lets their workers comp coverage lapse. Premiums start at $650/year.

Earthquake and Flood

we have both NFIP (federal flood) as well as private flood options.

Davis-Stirling Act Insurance Requirements

Professionally Managed HOA Insurance Quote Request

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.